Jun 30, 2014

For the LOVE of Paper

I've been in love with paper since I was young.  I started scrapbooking in the early 90's while pregnant with my son before it was "cool".  There were no supplies so I used page protectors and colored paper.  I still have those books and I wouldn't change them for anything.

When I was in elementary school we made paper beads out of the color comics in the newspaper or magazines for fun in art.  I'm not sure what sparked this again but I thought why can't I make them with all of this scrapbook paper I have around?  And then I started researching how to do it easier than with bamboo sticks or toothpicks.  I would roll them while we watched tv or movies and it was meditative.  I soon had a large gallon size bag of rolled colorful beads.  So then I started looking for ideas on what to do with all these beads.  And I found loads of them.
I found this necklace on Etsy for $80.  I loved it but wasn't going to pay that much money for a necklace made with paper.  So I started searching.  Most people call me the google queen because I can find just about anything with google.  I made this in 2 hours.  I needed smaller jump rings which I got later.  Everyone loved it.
I got some memory wire and beads and made these types of bracelets and this one for me.  I love how it turned out, so simple and easy.  I've made several for friends.  I use a product to coat the beads that makes them waterproof and sturdy.
I made my Mom this set for Mother's Day.  She loves these colors.  Sadly I forgot to take photos of the others before I mailed them off.

I've also started making cards.  When I finished April and all of the National Letter Writing Month I was still in card mode.  It was so much fun and I had joined Random Acts of Mail so I kept on.  I made 2 graduation cards for friends and one for a local policeman who lost his son.  I make gelli plate cards too just not as often as I'd like.  I love to do flowers the most.
Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment